I moved out of my home, a place bit far but closer to my workplace, struggling to be an independent person. Living without kitchen access for an unceasing long 3 months is a nightmare. The first thing I wanted to do after coming home was to do some serious baking and have some mom-made food. Very relaxing indeed. Use some very fresh oranges, juice them out. Save the skin for rind. Bake it and enjoy it with some hot beverage or some drink 😉
- Butter(room temperature attained) – 100 grams
- Granulated sugar -250 grams (1 and 1/4 cups)
- medium sized eggs – 4
- orange/vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Orange zest – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
- all purpose flour -187.5 grams(1 and 1/2 cups)
- baking powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- salt -1/4 teaspoon
- fresh orange juice -6 tablespoons
For the orange glaze:
- icing sugar – 12 tablespoons
- orange juice -2 tablespoons
- water – 1 tablespoon
- Preheat your oven to 350 F/180 C. Butter and flour the cake pan, tap the excess flour out.
- In a clean dry bowl, beat butter till soft and fluffy, gradually add in sugar, scraping down bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add this step by step, alternating with orange juice into the butter mixture. When the mixture is creamy and thick, pour into the pan.
- Bake for 30 mins. Lower down the temperature to 300 F/150 C. Bake again for around 30 mins, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack, for around an hour. In the meantime, prepare the glaze, by whisking icing sugar and the liquids till the mixture is smooth and thin.
- Once cooled, pour this over the cake, wait to dry.
- Slice up and serve.
Enjoy the citric blast!