I found this exotic combination of peanut butter and soy sauce in a book penned by Jane Price, comprising of a wide assortment of pure vegan and vegetarian dishes, both quick fixes and for complicated dinner. This creamy and sweet and salty peanut butter is way to go with soy sauce and yes it gives a contrasting and a vivid taste for the noodles. This tofu can be replaced with cottage cheese or any protein of your choice. Though actual recipe uses kecap manis/indonesian sweet soy sauce,it can be replaced with normal dark soy sauce sweetened with some soft brown sugar . I have used chunks of veggies rather than small vertical chops, because, it gives quite an alluring appearance to the bowl. Pick your own range of favorite greens like baby corn and pamper yourself with this beautiful make 😉
- red capsicum – 1 medium sized
- firm tofu – 200 grams
- cauliflower/broccoli – 125 grams
- button mushrooms – 125 grams
- scallion greens – 1/4 cup
- garlic cloves,crushed – 5
- grated ginger – 1.5 teaspoons
- kecap manis – 1/3rd a cup/80 mils
- creamy peanut butter – 90 grams/ 1/3rd a cup
- vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- chinese noodles – 500 grams
- Clean the mushrooms and cut them into chunks, along with other vegetables.
- In a pot of water, cook the cauliflower florets to 70 percent, along with some salt.
- In the mean while, cut tofu into cubes and and combine them with garlic, ginger and half the kecap manis in a bowl,leave it aside.
- Mix peanut butter, half a cup water and rest of kecap manis in another bowl.
- Cook the noodles al dente with salt as per the packet instructions. Run them through cold water and add some oil to thwart sticking.
- Now take a wok, add some oil and swirl to coat the base and side. Drain the tofu from the marinade and cook them in this hot oil until they are deep brown. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the vegetables, order goes like mushroom, capsicum,cauliflower and any others if you are adding. Add extra oil if necessary and stir fry until they are tender.
- Add the tofu, noodles, the marinade and the peanut butter mixture, one after the other, toss them well with the noodles. Test the salt and take them off the heat. Add the scallion greens and serve them hot.