Well, this is another something from my bake-sale! This one here is plush in coffee, with the special rum syrup that’s soaked in! Though latte means milk coffee, i used buttermilk instead and it is good!! Chocolate fudge icing also gives it another burst of chocolate flavor, which is excellent to go with coffee. Coffee is always ON with irish whiskey, so here I gave a try with rum and yes it is good!! Though the recipe is simple, the end product is a prodigious treat!Take a look!
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- unsalted butter – 1 and half stick/ 3/4th a cup at room temparature
- granulated sugar – 1 and half cup
- eggs – 3 large
- all purpose flour – 2 cups
- baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- espresso powder or any good brand coffee powder (I used Davidoff)- 1 tablespoon
- strong brewed coffee – 1/2 a cup
- fresh buttermilk – 1/4th cup + 2 tablespoon
2. FOR THE COFFEE-RUM SYRUP
- strong brewed coffee – 1 cup
- white rum – 1/4 cup
- drinking chocolate(optional) – 2 teaspoon
- sugar – 1 to 2 tablespoon
3. FOR THE CHOCOLATE FUDGE ICING
- granulated sugar – 1 cup
- cocoa powder – 2 heaped tablespoons
- unsalted butter – 1/4 cup
- milk – 1/3 cup
- vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
Okay, the list seems long, but its worth it!
Start with:1. CUPCAKES
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees. Get set your muffin liners in your tray.
- Sieve your flour, espresso powder, baking powder and salt 3 times and set aside.
- Mix coffee and butter milk in another bowl.
- In a clean bowl, combine butter and sugar until fluffy almost about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition.
- Now alternatingly add the flour mix and the coffee-buttermilk, incorporating them well, with patience until you get a smooth light mixture.
- Fill your cupcake liners with this batter, about 3/4th the volume of each.
- Bake it for about 30 minutes, or the toothpick/tester inserted comes out clean. While it’s in the oven, make the coffee rum syrup.
- Transfer them to a wire rack.
2. COFFEE-RUM SYRUP
- Mix the ingredients together and adjust the sugar and coffee accordingly.
- When done, add 1-2 tablespoons of syrup to each cupcakes uniformly. Either the cakes should be warm, or the syrup should be warm, so that the osmos of the syrup into the cake gets fast. Do not completely soak the cake, it kills it.
3. CHOCOLATE FUDGE ICING
- In a pan, mix sugar, cocoa powder and milk under medium heat, until large bubbles are seen, boil for 1 minute.
- Take them off the heat, add butter and vanilla essence. Return them to medium heat and heat them until it thickens.
- You can also replace sugar with icing sugar, then omit the heating step after adding butter.
- Use them immediately on the cake.
So, bake the cake, pour the coffee rum syrup and finally, chocolate fudge icing. I just finished them by decorating with silver edibles and it looked all cinderella-ish,all pretty and cute!