This meal is actually wildly modified version of Hainanese Chicken Rice, Steamed chicken, a thin chicken soy sauce and a spicy red chilli sauce, some times also served with soup. This combination is loved and wholeheartedly accepted by the people of Singapore and Malaysia. Though the Hainanese Rice is Chinese in origin, what you will find now in China and Singapore is different, since it was adapted and edited long time back! I have made a change in everything, except for the rice. I omitted the whole sauce part, but the steamed chicken has lots of flavors and Teriyaki sauce, that gives a slight sweet disposition. And yes, Hainanese Chicken rice has excellent flavor of chicken, garlic, ginger and shallots. Check it out!
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE
- Washed uncooked white/basmati rice – 1 cup
- Chicken broth – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- garlic – 7 cloves finely chopped
- ginger – 1/2 inch piece, peeled
- shallots – 5 finely chopped
- vegetable oil – 2 tablespoon
- salt – 1 teaspoon
- chicken breast – 1/2, skinless
- Cilantro to garnish (optional)
- The real recipe calls for screwpine leaves (pandan leaves), i can’t find it in my area so I omitted that.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add ginger, garlic and shallots and saute them until they are light golden brown. Add the washed rice and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and water, and the chicken breast followed by salt.
- Cover your pan with a proper lid and cook the rice in low to medium flame for around 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, add cilantro (optional).
FLAVORED STEAMED CHICKEN
- Chicken breast – 2 large or 3 small
- vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Chilli flakes – 1 tablespoon
- Hot Red Chilli sauce – 1/2 tablespoon
- Teriyaki sauce – 2 tablespoon
- vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- white pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Soy sauce – 1/2 tablespoon
- cilantro leaves – 1/4 bunch
- garlic – 8 cloves
- ginger – 1 inch piece, peeled
- green chilly – 1 small
- salt – to taste
- Clean your chicken breasts. Wrap them on a cling film, use a mallet to soften the breast. This aids to better marination.
- Rub your chicken with salt. Set aside
- Paste ginger, garlic, cilantro, oil and green chilly. Ensure that paste is smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix all the liquid sauces, red chilly, white pepper and the smooth paste. Mix it well.
- Rub this above mixture well to your chicken and wrap the bowl with cling film. Fridge it for minimum an hour and for the best, always, overnight!
- Set your steamer. In the bottom level, add 3/4th of it with water. Now to steam them, you can use aluminium foil. Since I ran out of that, I used cabbage leaves to place the chicken. Set them in the next layer.
- Steam for around 15 to 20 mins, check if the chicken is cooked. Else, increase the time accordingly.
- Once cooked, plate them up with Chicken rice.
STEAMED VEGETABLES IN BUTTER
- Carrots, Cauliflower, Peppers, potatoes, french beans etc, cut into pieces, pick your convenient size.
- 1/2 tablespoon of salted butter
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- A bunch of cilantro leaves
- Throw some salt over the vegetables and steam them for 10-15 mins.
- In a small pan, met your butter and add pepper to it.
- Serve the steamed vegetables by drizzle the butter and pepper over the top.
- If using peppers,(capsicum) keep them directly over the stove and heat it by holding it using a pair of tongs until the skin gets black. Use a knife to scale of the black skin. You will get pepper which is really juicy, which can be cut and added to the dish.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Enjoy the make. For better taste, use chill garlic sauce along with the rice!